Thursday, February 22, 2007

Child abuse

For one of my education classes I have to write a research paper on anything to do with schools. It could be a law, funding, teacher paycuts, NCLB, lack of recess, art budget cuts, etc... I decided to do my paper on child abuse and why teachers should be required to report suspected child abuse. While conducting my search for information, I came across an article that defended and attacked mandatory child abuse. In fact, I came across more than one article that attacked mandatory child abuse!!

I could not believe my eyes. Some people do not believe in mandatory child abuse! I am all for reporting child abuse. Child abuse can be a life or death situation for some children. I understand why some people would shy against it, but the consequences of leaving a child in an abusive living situation could mean perminent disabilities (both mental and physical) and death. I realize that some foster home situations are not always the best, but if there is the smallest chance of getting that child out of an abusive and potentially fatal situation, I am all for it. No child deserves to live with abuse, or believing that they had brought the abuse on themselves.

No comments: